Friday, April 06, 2007

Earned Income Tax?

In case you aren't aware of it, Cheltenham has what is called an "Earned Income" Tax. What this means it that your earned income is taxed. Every 3 months you are required to pay the estimated tax on your income and then at the end of the year you file (and pay) your earned income tax for the past year. The yearly tax return is due by April 15th which is the same due date as the federal and state income tax.

Now if your income is less than $3000 for the past year then you don't have to pay the tax BUT you do have to file the return. The consequences of not filing the return is fees and penalties!

I remember when this tax was first introduced some years ago and I remember filling it out and mailing it back in. However I have talked to some people who said that they just ignored it and didn't send it in. (Sometimes I wish that I had done the same - sigh!). I don't know if anything happened to them as a consequence and I was just not willing to take the chance.

But the bottom line is that this tax is mandatory and has to be paid.

To find out more about this tax you can call the Township's Administration Office at:

Township Administration Building
8230 Old York Road
Elkins Park, PA 19027
215-887-1000

No comments: